Sunday, April 6, 2014

March 30th Email

Annyeong Haseyo, everyone. I hope you are peaceful. ^^
This week was a crazy one, and basically because of one phone call on Thursday. I will get to that in a second.
At the beginning of this week, my companion Elder Perry, the college runner and former zone leader, was really sick. He toughed through Monday, whic wasn't our P-day this week, but then Tuesday he crashed. We spent the whole afternoon inside, while he tried to sleep it off. I studied a lot, and tried to call some people to meet them, but the afternoon isn't too effective for that. Luckily, after a priesthood blessing and anointing, he felt better that evening, and we went out and talked to lots of people about our church. I have gotten to the point where I love going out everyday with the goal to be a good person, help people understand our church, and bring them closer to Christ by inviting them to learn more about it. I expecially love the Korean people, who are so frank and kind. On the whole, they are a generous, pleasant, yet satisfyied-with-how-things-are-now kind of people. Not a lot of people I have met have wanted to learn about the message that could better their lives, but I will keep on offering it to them! That's waht we are called to do as missionaries and member missionaries is to stand as a witness of Christ at all times and in all places, so that is what I will do. ^^
I got to spend the day on Wednesday back in my "Greenie" area, Su-Ji. If you ask why, it's because Shin-Gal ward shares a church building with them, and we had English class and district meeting that day. So, we stayed in Su-ji and talked to the college students, my favorite group to talk to. Fun stuff!
Then came Thursday. It was P-day, because we got to go up to the Seoul Temple as a zone, and that was wonderful. I learned so much, and my testimony was strengthened so well by that holy place. After the service, we were chatting outside the temple with the other missionaries. Our mission president pulled me and my companion aside, and told us about a situation that could change our status as companions. A missionary that was sick was going home early and another one was returning from having surgery, so there could be some switching of companionships. I wasn't too worried, and we went to one of those public bathhouses for our P-day activity. We took Elder Hale, the one whose companion was going home, with us. then, on the way back home, we got the phone call from President.
President said he had had decided to put me with Elder Hale in an area called An-Seong, and the returning missionary (a Korean) with Elder Perry. We got the call at 5:30, and got home at around 6:10. President was coming at 6:30 to pick me up with my luggage, so I set mission record for packing my stuff! Then I had to say goodbye to Elder Perry! That was hard. the last transfer and a week had been the funnest time on my mission, as well as the time I had learned the most. But, I was excited to help PResident out with this situation and serve with Elder Hale, another hard worker. President drove out to a little city in the middle of nowhere, and droppped us off. I am in the Countryside! All of my previous experience has been mostly countryside, but this is complete counrty side. THere are surprising amounts of people here, though, especially wtih the warm weather. Anyway, huge shock. When I woke up that morning I had no Idea that I would be serving in one of the only Branches left in the mission by nightfall!!! Crazy, and it still hasn't sunk in completely.
We got things figured out on friday and met some of our investigators. I will explain about them in a later email. Then we proceeded to proselyte diligently and have seen many miracles in the people we have met even though it's only been 3 days! We are meeting 3 more potential investigators this week from our efforts this last friday through sunday.
On Sunday, yesterday, I met my Branch! A total of 23 people including children came out this week. I look forward to a closer relationship with my branch, and I look forward to the challenge of making it a ward! I feel like I will remain here in the middle of nowhere for a while, which is fine with me. THe people are nicer and more willing to listen to you than other places I've been. It should be a fun few transfers! ^^
Sorry to talk your ears off (or is it type my fingers off?), but thanks for all the support and prayers you give me. I have to cut the email here because of time, but I am glad I have this opportunity to test my adaptation skills and faith in God by suddenly serving in a new area and with a new companion. Elder Hale is great; he and I have already gone running twice in the morning, and he is a hard worker. Neither of us is that good at Korean, but I believe we can do our best and establish the Lord's Kingdom in this little city. Wish us luck, or rather, pray for us!! ^^
I Love you all! Thanks again! Have an excellent week! ^^
~Elder Wilcox

No comments:

Post a Comment